Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Which Secondhand is the Right Hand?

I had a little question for the wiser

Is it second hand, second-hand or secondhand?  I've always written, "secondhand" when writing about used goods. Then I started reading a variety of books, articles and blogs on the topic of thrift and haven't noticed a true trend.  People are using all three as adjectives, adverbs and nouns, and as messed up as the English language can get, I know that can't be right. A few years ago I took a reporting class, and we were all required to purchase The Associated Press Stylebook.  This book is the rule bible for journalists (my professor said so). The book itself boasts that it's "An A to Z listing of guides to capitalization, abbreviation, spelling, numerals and usage." Well, that isn't quite boasting, it's more of a fact, and thus far Associated Press hasn't lied to me. But, yeah, when I get stuck in a tongue-tied version of typing, feeling lost and utterly confused, I dig out this book.


When I flip to page 220 of my trusty Stylebook, it tells me all I've been wanting to know, and in such a simple, second grade way -- I honestly have a hard time accepting that secondhand shopping momentarily had me stumped beyond, "Should I buy this?"

Mr. A.P. Style states:

second hand (n.)
secondhand (adj. and adv.)
Secondhand Rose had a watch with a second hand that she bought secondhand.

I'd like to add that, Rosie, despite having a secondhand addiction, is not a fan of secondhand smoke.
 
 Secondhand panda puppets and secondhand smoke are a dangerous combination...

An instance where you would use a hyphen is:
Rosie is a secondhand-store shopper.

No hyphen:
Rosie goes to all the secondhand stores in her area.

So according to any smartypants, moneymaking journalist "second-hand" does not apply at all to the world of thrift, or anything for that matter. Good to know.  I'm glad my hands were typing "secondhand" all along. That I didn't know I was right is beside the point. ;) For now I can blog on -- minus the smartypants paycheck, but with a new found confidence that I know what the hell I'm talking about...at least when it comes to typing secondhand...until the rules change tomorrow.

I'll secondhand shop no matter where the second hand is!
I'll make several other grammatical errors, but using "secondhand" in a second-rate way will not be one of them.  I'll continue to dig out my AP Stylebook just for you.


I know you'll sleep better at night, now that I know what you likely knew.

2 comments:

  1. I tend to write "secondhand" despite the various versions I've seen. Who cares really . . . what really matters is that we are users of all things )okay, some things) already on this earth. I am living a somewhat Green life and I'm good with that. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Definitely! The little bookworm in me just gets curious about these things. Kind of like playing a research trivia game with myself. Lol Plus, having a B.A. in English makes me feel like I can't be messing up a word I use on a daily basis...Lol When I'm reading, I don't much care how other people write it either. :)

    ReplyDelete