Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Evolved Thrifter

Change Can Get Us Something Valuable

For quite a long time now, I have been an avid thrifter. At first, I was secondhand shopping for the treasure-finding fun of it— something about finding a cute vintage dress that no other girl would have got me all giddy— but recently my reasons for thrifting evolved.  Now the unlikelihood of another woman wearing the same outfit as me is only a perk. My real enjoyment is the reusability; thrift shopping is a form of recycling. The more I look around at our world of wasteful consumption, the more I cringe and hope to do my part toward changing it. When I shop, I now try to keep the Earth’s sustainability in mind.  I’d rather recycle what another person did not want than purchase an item brand new. By doing so, I’m not supporting the overproduction of items, idiotic packaging or media ideals.  Why should I go out and purchase a $150.00 dress at the mall, when I can walk into a secondhand shop and find an equally beautiful dress in mint-condition for $10? (At the most!)  In my opinion, if an item looks new; it is new! I actually believe that many of the items I buy secondhand have never even been worn or used. I find clothing that looks as pretty as the day of  initial sale; just less pricey. When I’m out on the town, women sometimes compliment my outfit and ask where I bought it, when I tell them the name of a thrift shop they usually look surprised.  I even had one compliment-giver accuse me of lying, saying “You just don’t want me to have it!” If only I were so evil. Anyways, the idea of secondhand being worn-out, shabby and cheap-looking just isn’t the case. I come across far more awesome items than crappy ones during my thrift excursions. Some individuals claim that thrift shopping is more time-consuming, and yes, it can be if you want it to be, but it can be a quick, carefree experience as well. The clothes are organized by size after all, and not only that, but they are often times organized by color, too. For me this has saved valuable time and energy, especially when trying to find the right top to match a pesky colored skirt.  When it comes to finding items such as dishes, shopping can require a little more patience. However, when you come across the right set I guarantee all that patience will pay off.  After all, where is the fun in buying a box of dishes at an overpriced store where there are a dozen other boxes of the same set? The exhilaration of finding a beautiful and unique, secondhand set is pretty hard to beat. Need I mention again that every secondhand purchase aids the Earth’s sustainability? Thrifting is simply win-win. Every thrift store is an enormous treasure trove of a recycling bin. You’ll be amazed at the immense amount of brand new items Americans toss away. So, find them, grab them, get all giddy about it but realize if it weren’t for our thrifting, all the materials and energies expended to create that item would have been a complete waste…and it  often times is. It’s time our shopping evolved.  If you don’t have to buy it new: Don’t!

2 comments:

  1. Right on. Thrifting is one of the best things you can do for the earth. Used things have so much more character and most items made over 25 years ago were still built to last.

    I can't even begin to tell you all of my awesome thrift finds - highlights include a framed original Leonard Baskin lithograph that I paid $3.99 for but is worth over a grand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finds like that never fail to amaze me. Thrifting adds an adventure to shopping that you just can't find anywhere else.

    Vintage items are also better quality; I totally agree. My mom still uses a percolator that was given to my Grandma at her wedding shower (she was in her early 20's)! No percolator made today stands a chance at a lifetime like that.

    ReplyDelete