Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Give a Thrift Gift?

With Christmas right around the corner and gift shopping set in motion, a thrifter begins to wonder:  Is a secondhand gift appropriate?  My short-n-sweet answer to this question is: definitely use discretion.  Everyone is different, and as much as I love thrifting I know there is a huge handful of people who cannot stand the thought of using something used.  Some people find it icky, others find it cheap; whatever their reason, some individuals would not appreciate a thrifted gift. I am sympathetic to such opinions (it is their gift, after all), which is why a little considerate thinking needs to be done before buying.


Here is the mental list I run through before purchasing a thrift gift:


Is the person I’m buying for a thrifter?  If they are; go for it! A thrifter will be as excited over the find as you are. Luckily, several of my friends are thrifters, so I get to say yes to thrift gifts fairly often.

Is it a “brand new” item?  One of my major rules is that it needs to be brand new in appearance for it to be a gift. Having the original tags on is even better.  I don’t even buy myself much that doesn’t fit the description of “brand new.” Vintage items or lightly used are my personal shopping exceptions.  A gift should be special though, so if an item is stained, chipped or fading, just forget about it.

Repurposed?  If you are buying a secondhand item to repurpose or renew it, I think this is fantastic!  Crafty gifts are incredibly meaningful. To receive a present that someone took time on just for you, is a sentimental feeling that can’t be beat.  Crafts that incorporate recycled, secondhand materials are creatively wonderful presents that reflect true thoughtfulness.

Is it a collectible?  Many people have collections that aren’t quite complete, and if you come across a nice piece that fits someone’s collection I say, snatch it! For example, my mom has the Lefton Christopher Collection, (little figurine children with light blonde hair and light brown eyes). This particular collection was discontinued, which makes it an exciting thrift find.  She has close to all of them but every now and then I come across one she doesn’t have. In these instances, I grab them with a grin and save them for the upcoming holiday.  

Is there a story behind it?  When you find a secondhand gift that rises to the occasion of memory, I wouldn’t pass it by.  We all have our sentimental moments and silly inside jokes with family and friends. When a gift highlights these moments, I don’t imagine it matters whether Santa’s elves made it right in the mall or donated it to the Island of Misfit Toys— gifts that match our life’s memories are simply touching.

I can’t recall giving a thrifty Christmas present (until this year), but I have had success with several Birthday thrift gifts. Of course, before purchasing each gift it received one or more checks from the list above.  After all, there are people in my life that aren’t fans of thrift and that should be respected.  I also have never purchased a thrift gift because it was cheap.  Even though thrift gifts can help a budget, a present is meant to be thoughtful—never, ever purchase an item, expensive or cheap, unless you believe in the gifts ability to make your loved one smile.


What are your thoughts on thrift gifts? Any rules you’d like to add?

No comments:

Post a Comment