Thursday, February 10, 2011

The City of Lakes Luminary Loppet


Since this last weekend in Minneapolis was "warmer" than usual, I was excited to bundle-up and spend some time outside.  The City of Lakes Luminary Loppet was taking place, so I would have even braved negative numbers to check it out. I always get overly excited about seeing the snow sculptures, and the hundreds of stunning candles flickering inside of already luminescent ice.

Plus, the viewing was free!

My favorite ice sculpture there was Yogi Bear on skis, accompanied by the infamous picnic basket. Yogi has always been one of my dad's favorite cartoons, so this one got me missing him and feeling a little homesick. Miss you, Dad!




Since we are in Minnesota, no collection of snow sculptures would be complete without a fearsome Viking! The detail of his beard alone is impressive!







Another one that I found interesting was a totem-like Indian sculpture. Perhaps it was the powerful and promising sun that drew me in....



Spring!Spring!Spring!Spring?








But what really makes the Loppet Extravaganza impossible to ignore is the ice illumination. There isn't just a glowing pyramid-- the lake is literally surrounded by ice cube candles, even the bridges are lined with lights.  It's a pretty romantic stroll for couples, as long as you don't mind dodging everyone's skis. Last year I totally tripped on some grumpy guys skis and got hollered at, but most everyone at the Luminary Loppet is in smiley good spirits. Without some girl tripping up your skis, how could you not be smiling? It's beautiful! And there's hot cocoa! The Luminary Loppet is an especially great event for children. Several children were pulled along in their sleds, and they lit up brighter than the illuminated lake as they took in the sculptures, the pyramid, and the wondrous fire breathers.

Each cube of ice holds a glowing candle, making this one of the most extravagant pyramids I've ever laid eyes on.

If you live in Minnesota and haven't attended The City of Lakes Luminary Loppet, I highly recommend you check it out next year! I'm not a skier but if I were, this Loppet Extravagnza is where it's at! Numerous competitions are offered, but several people just attend for a memorably refreshing and entertaining late-night stroll. My skill set this year was walking in winter boots without tripping on anyone's skis! Impressive, I know!

So suck up that it's winter and get outside and play! It's almost Spring!


2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Seems like a romantic outing as well. I've never experienced something like this, and your post is the first time I've heard of such an event. We use sand here in So Cal. From the photographs it seems ice/snow is much more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sand can be pretty impressive, but the candles in ice kinda has it beat. ;) It certainly is romantic! I look forward to the Luminary Loppet every year :)

    ReplyDelete