Thursday, February 17, 2011

Unveiling the Valentine

I feel guilty admitting it, but I've had more of a Valentine's Month.  I'm spoiled and I know it. I acknowledge it, and I appreciate it in ways I can't even explain.  My Valentine's Month started in a grocery store parking lot when Johnathan came to the car holding a bouquet of vibrant flowers for me -- no real reason. The first week of February holds no valid significance within our relationship, he just wanted to make me smile, I guess, and it worked.

Well, my flowers died quickly (as flowers tend to do) and I kept postponing their inevitable toss out.  Johnathan even brought it up,  informing me that they were dead and that I should throw them out.  I frowned. I will. Not yet. I know they're limp; they've wilted; they're brown. I just hate the end of a pretty bouquet.

The memory of that bouquet was quickly replaced, though. Two days later, during the second week of February, I received another unexpected bouquet of flowers.  This time they were intoxicating, fragrant Lilies.  I awoke to them, along with a raspberry jelly donut that I had been (verbally) craving for weeks! Johnathan had already left for work and missed my crazed reaction; I was thrilled!

One -- I got my donut! Two -- I have never, ever received flowers two weeks in a row! I wouldn't even fathom it as a possibility!  I just felt...adored.

                                                          
     I am so very lucky.


 I would never ask for these things. I'm not that kind of girl.  If he didn't do these sweet gestures I wouldn't doubt his love; I know he loves me.  Weeks of fading flowers isn't what proves love to me, it's the weeks of unfailing friendship and dedication that does.

The jelly donut on the other hand...I need that. To survive. If it weren't for donuts we probably would have dumped each other a looooong time ago. If you're disappointed in me, I must ask, did you see the photo above!?! ;)

 Don't worry, I don't just take-take-take.  I try my best to be what he deserves too.

As I said in the Can't Buy Me Love post, I don't believe in buying love cards.  Love shouldn't be proclaimed by a Hallmark harper, it should be proclaimed by thee lover. Making your own card also opens up recycling options! Instead of wasting, you're reusing.

So today I'll unveil this years homemade Valentine for Johnathan -- I promised I would!


To accomplish this I cut colorful schnibblets from a local newspaper I had on hand. As I cut them, I kept them in organized color piles so that it wouldn't take too long piecing my seahorse together.  I then drew the seahorse by hand, as you can see I somewhat diverged from my original drawing as I got gluing.  I also made sure to place a few newspaper words within my seahorse, such as "Valentine" and "Love You Easy."
Creating is about getting creative -- there are no rules!

It turned out to be a pretty crazy looking Valentine!  Best part is that this seahorse is an inside joke between Johnathan and I.  As I've said before, linking the crafts you make to the things that hold meaning will always turn out a great success; it's simply more touching and meaningful.  This Valentine took me longer than I thought it would, but it was totally worth it!

The tissue is holding a Lucky Bamboo plant I bought John for his desk...future post! :) And yes, I used my bouquet paper for wrapping gifts. It's pretty!

Did you make a Valentine this year? Perhaps you received a handmade card?  If so, I'd love to see it! Feel free to share a link to your Valentine in the comments section! I always enjoy hearing from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment