Thursday, January 20, 2011

Jacqui & Julia: Cat-sitting, Not Cooking

Jacqui & Julia <3
Every now and then our friend, Foster, leaves town on business, during which time I am deemed babysitter to the cat he babysits. (His friend is in the army, I believe, so Foster took in his kitty for the year).  Well, this week I have been kittysitting Julia, and her cat charms have me wishing she were mine. I miss having a kitty to cuddle.  However, Julia is making up for all my lost cuddle time quite quickly; not even a second after I walk in the door, she aggressively wraps herself around my legs and trips me the whole way to the couch, where she literally tiger pounces my lap before I've even settled in my seat. I'm loving it!

I had wanted to bring Julia up to Johnathan's apartment (Foster lives right below him), but she has sharp claws and Johnathan has a nice, brand new couch.  He told me I could bring her upstairs if I clipped her nails, which sounded easy enough...but no...it is not. Hats off to skilled kitty claw clippers' everywhere! Julia would not let me hold her paw long enough to snip a single needle-like claw. 

Cat-like Reflexes: Julia - 1 Jacqui - 0 (Let's call it Love, I like being positive).

I made several attempts and she kept looking at me like, "Hey, keep petting. You're getting this cuddle completely wrong!" To which I replied (seriously, out loud), " Julia, if you just stay still and let me do this, you can come upstairs and we can cuddle all week." Jerks paw. "On a new couch." Rams head into hand. "You'll get to spend more time with me." Yanks paw. "Julia, I'm just. trying. to. Dammit!"  Happy-paws obscenely sharp claws into my thigh. "Okay, Okay! You're happy how you are; I get it." Rejection. "Don't cuddle on a new couch with me."


So, no all-out kitty cuddling going on in this upstairs apartment, but at least all I gotta do is run downstairs to get my affection fix. Still, it could have been so much more but she just wouldn't listen.
Sigh.

She's still too cute, though! Julia also doesn't have a tail-- just a little stub, which is surprisingly adorable on her. She is a very beautiful cat.  When I'm finally able to get a kitty, I think I might need to get a fluffy, gray one. A boy. Who enjoys cuddling on a new couch. With clipped claws...

Oh, won't Julia be jealous then. She'll be begging me to clip her claws.

Outside of scratching posts, anyone have friendly tactics for claw clipping? This cat's curious. :)

5 comments:

  1. JLV - Beautiful writing. You are very talented. Besides my silly GW challenge, I am an avid lover of all things literary, so maybe my comment will hold some weight??? I'm a lover of all animals, much like you. What a loving tribute to a very stubborn cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very meaningful compliment! Thank you, Kris! And, your Goodwill Challenge is far from silly, it is motivating and fun! I've got a few thrift outfits I'm hoping to share soon, it's just a matter of taking the pictures. I don't have a large mirror here in Mpls, so I need to wait for someone to help me take pictures; not as easy to accomplish as I thought...much like claw clipping Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) :) :)

    Your joy, love and passion shine out of your articles.

    What Kris said :)

    ---

    The cat is very happy as she is _and_ she has her own space this way, though she loves you to be around (without your clippers :P )

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for sharing this sweet little story jacqueline. when i had cats, i learned that they get their own way in the end, so i learned to let them have their way early on before all the claw marks on my skin! ;) i do recall having some sort of full-nelson-wrestling type move where i'd hold down 3/4 of the paws as i worked on clipping the nails when absolutely necessary. if all else fails, take them to the vet or groomers and let the professionals deal with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pinning her down would have been the only way, but I just couldn't do it. If she were my very own cat, I would have gotten my way somehow. I kept thinking a scratching post would be nice, but it wouldn't work overnight! Yes, thank goodness for groomers!
    & thanks for stopping by, Ana!! :)

    ReplyDelete