Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Thrifter's Closet: My First Vintage Fabric Find

Well, the drive to Minneapolis was only lightly snowy, but my tires chose to be dramatic about it, which led to a dramatic, clinging-to-the-wheel-freak-out for myself.  But, I made it! Safe and sound-- I just have a greater hate for winter weather than I did a day ago.  Since I didn't get the car unloaded till after 11 pm, my intentions of sharing my cute coat vanished, and bed became a priority. The coat will be unveiled in the days to come, but today I feel like sharing other things that have grabbed my attention; vintage things.

Yesterday while I was thrifting I kept coming across amazing vintage finds, some of which I had never had the opportunity to see in person before. Such as this vintage baby carriage:


I love the dainty details! I imagined a woman much like Scarlett O'Hara pushing this pram along with a gentle, gloved grip.  Also made me flash back to the days when I would push my doll around in a little stroller whenever my mom would go shopping; my kiddy stroller was cute, but not quite this eye-catching.
A delicate, swooped, cloth umbrella, really, it's too precious.I wasn't the only one charm-struck by this piece; several people were stopping to admire it. In all seriousness, I do not have any excuse to buy a decorative baby carriage, so I left this find behind.  If you're interested, act quickly because it's available at Slinger's Saint Vincent De Paul (WI) for $50, which is out of my price range, but completely reasonable considering how vintage this piece really is.  

Oh, there was also an old-time chest complete with pullout drawers, hangers and shoe pockets; you can somewhat see it in the background...pretty neat stuff out there! 

But, what I really want to share with you today is something I do own! Not too long ago I made my first vintage fabric buy! It was originally marked $5.99, but I received 50% off because it was yellow tag day-- I just love when the discount color corresponds with my wants!

When I first brought the fabric home I thought I would use it as a decorative table cloth, but it's a rather large, thick piece of fabric and I'm debating turning it into living room curtains eventually...what do you think? The turquoise and shimmery olive green will truly be lovely no matter what I do with it, but I enjoy thinking of all the possibilities!


3 comments:

  1. The fabric is gorgeous ! It would definitely be perfect as curtains.

    I always bring my camera with me so I can take pictures of cool things that that stroller...than move on and keep my house from getting cluttered with unnecessary stuff :) Even video games. -sigh-

    ReplyDelete
  2. CURTAINS!!! Definitely. Beautiful, beautiful color and print.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you...I'm leaning towards curtains too, just seems like they were destined for that :)

    ReplyDelete