Monday, January 24, 2011

The Sport of Thrifting

Yesterday I hung out with good friends and watched the Green Bay Packers beat the Bears. We're going to the Super Bowl! More fun to come! But I gotta admit, I'm not a huge football fan; I dabble in the viewing: my attention is held in the 1st quarter and definitely the 4th quarter, but is usually lost during most of the middle; I don't shout at the screen; my day is not affected by a win or a loss. I am into having friends around-- the excitement, the high-fives, and I'm totally down with the munchies and the beer. I also enjoy wearing my Packers jersey.

This morning, more than one person announced that they were going to go buy some Packer duds, and it made me think of all the Packers clothing I tend to see in the thrift stores-- TONS of it.  The Slinger Saint Vincent De Paul especially has racks (yes, plural) loaded with Packer gear, and that's where I bought my Packer jersey. With 50% off, I bought my awesome fitting Franks Packer jersey for $2.50.  My dad's name is Frank, so I figured it would be suiting to wear a Bubba Franks jersey to his restaurant's Packer parties (that Franks was a darn good Packer player doesn't hurt either).
$2.50


This jersey is in great condition, but overall, I think that slightly worn jerseys resonate a sporty, vintage feel that's fashionably fun, too.






 So if you suddenly want a new Packers shirt to show off your pride, why not go and thrift one?  You'll still look good and fan-like, but your wallet will remain full.  Sports clothes can be expensive; that's a fact, and with so many people having fickle fan syndrome, thrift stores are full of inexpensive football wear. Pick a team, any team, and you can find it in almost any thrift store.    


Johnathan n Bros @ a Packer Game
 GO PACK GO

 If you want a new sports shirt and you live near Slinger, WI, I highly suggest their Saint Vinnies; I have never seen that many sports clothes in a secondhand store on such a regular basis in my life-- you'll certainly strike green and gold.


Amongst other teams!

gOOFY gIRL
Know it's not the season, but oh how I love my Brewers gear!!  This baseball hat was a gift, purchased from the Minneapolis Lost and Found, "brand new," baby! Is it summer, yet?? I'm cravin' a hot dog and a crazy, competitive Sausage Race!

P.S. Katey Wegman, I know you are a Bears fan, on a  freak-like level, but you still like Charmstruck. Admit it! ;)

P.S.S. Everyone, Any team can be green!!

5 comments:

  1. GO PACK GO!!! Never find Packer gear here. Booo! Although I did find a vintage GBP ashtray from the 50's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never thought of looking for jerseys at the ol' GW. Might be a fun thing to give the hubby for his Sunday rituals of couch potatoism and football.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, a truly vintage sports find is rare. I would have snatched that up!

    Johnathan even thrifted his cheesehead! I had never seen a cheesehead secondhand until then either. It's fun stuff!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They have clothing made from quick dry materials in your thrift shops? :P

    :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I do love me some Charmstruck! :-) (Go Bears!)

    ReplyDelete