Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Dry Hands? Olive Oil. Capisci?

I'm going to sound like a strange, little Italian girl when I tell you this, but when my hands start getting real dry, it isn’t lotion I reach for—it’s olive oil.   You’ll be amazed at the quick healing powers olive oil can have on elephant-like dry skin; it’s really an all-natural miracle worker, and most every kitchen has it. If your kitchen doesn’t have EVOO, ooh, you should get some! Rachel Ray would back me on this— extra virgin olive oil can perfect many a dish to delicious while keeping it healthy.  Moreover, this one ingredient will make your skin equally healthy when used as a mini-spa treatment.

To accomplish this, simply put a small amount of olive oil in a bowl and heat it for a few seconds until it is comfortably warm. Now, rub your hands with that relaxing warm olive oil and let them marinate a bit. While you wait, I suggest you massage your palms and fingers for a few minutes to fully benefit from the soothing, tension relieving warmth. Once you’re thoroughly relaxed, rinse off with water and bellisimo! You will notice a difference immediately.


And I mean the softness… not that you smell like a pasta dish; which you will.

Just wait a little longer before you suds your hands back to feminine flowers because, ironically, the longer you let your hands smell like a classic Italian mama, the better they transform into an Italian bombshell’s dainty digits; modeling diamond rings for the rich. Simply treat your hands like you just polished your nails and don’t touch anything for the eternity of five minutes — speaking of nails, this olive oil treatment has made mine much stronger and healthier (retail lotion has never accomplished this for me).

Seriously, Italian mamas and pasta dishes aside: olive oil will heal your skin!

Besides, I’m sure you’ve noticed the overwhelming amount of skin products boasting olive oil, that’s because olive oil does the trick! You don’t need that chemical mixture with a dash of olive oil; you just need the olive oil! A dab will do, and if you're in a rush you don't even have to heat it. Try it if you don’t believe me; try it if you do. Either way, your hands are gonna be as smooooth as a cooked linguine, baby.

Capisci?

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe how similar we are! I was just talking to my boyfriend about this because he was complaining that his skin was so dry it was cracking and the perfumes and dye in lotion makes them sting. I told him my Nonna would always sit down to watch Lawrence Welk while she rubbed a dot of olive oil into her hands after doing the dishes. Great article. Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do this too (I was raised in Italy and my kitchen is never without EVOO :) Oh, it works! I use a tiny bit to remove eye make-up (it's the best for this!) I like to mix it with sugar to make a luxurious scrub, too.

    Actually, I use olive oil for too many things to list in this comment :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sugar and coffee ground scrubs rock, I'll have to share some of those in the future! Growing up in Italy had to be amazing; it's the most beautiful, unforgettable place I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to give this a try, I always have olive oil in the kitchen--love the ideas in all the comments, too. Thanks for linking to my Share the Love Wednesday party!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete