Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Thrifter's Closet: Season of Secondhand Sweaters

Sweaters can be mighty expensive, and considering the price tag, many of them don’t last very long. However, this doesn’t stop me from wanting to be all bundled up throughout the winter months. My solution, of course, is thrifting— my prettiest, warmest sweaters are all secondhand. With a snow blizzard set in motion and many of us looking to get cozy in layered clothing, I figured I should share with you my latest sweater finds. If you find yourself chilly and without wool, fear not; secondhand sweaters will save you!  Most thrift stores price donated sweaters at either $3.99 or $4.99, and some of these are even brand names such as Banana Republic, Ralph Lauren and Gap. I’ve personally never cared whether something was brand-name or not, if it’s eye-catching and appears long-lasting, its name becomes Mine!  I’m sure you’re imagining used sweaters that are pilled and pathetic, limply lining the racks, but you'll find better than that. 

Take a look at mine:


Thrifty $4.99 Find
When I saw this chunky, cream sweater it was love at first sight.  I knew it would keep me toasty warm all (and every) winter.  With dark tan leggings and my dark brown boots, this sweater works for any occasion.The crisscross braiding is especially beautiful!

Discounted Thrift: $2.99!
See the subtle "snow" shimmer? :)
This soft pink, apt. 9 sweater has a silver shimmer to it that makes me think of fresh fallen snow. I think it's perfect for a night out with the girls. Plus, the loose hanging neck makes me feel like I'm wrapped in a soft blanket. As for accessories, how bout a nice, hot cup of cocoa?
Also Discount! Found for $2.99 w/ the Pink Sweater

This casual sweater is the color of wintry, mint ice cream. I love the wide v-neck and detailed knitting; the wide gaps make this sweater ideal for layering.


 I found this secondhand sweater last winter, but I like it so much I'm including it with my newbies.  It's a joyful teal, and it goes with a wide variety of my t-shirts and tank tops. I actually wear this secondhand, RuffHewn sweater year round; on chilly summer nights it compliments sundresses like a boy with a crush.  I've always been a fan of hoodies & pockets, so combined with the brightly beautiful color, this sweater charmed me on the spot!

 Actually, both the cream and soft pink sweater were made by apt. 9, guess I like their style and never noticed 'til now, how bout that?

If you find any adorably warm sweaters while thrifting, be sure to share your find with me!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome finds! I'm a clothes thrift-a-holic. Recently found a 100% cashmere sweater in beautiful condition for under $6. Goodwill in LA is great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks- Cashmere finds are dreamy, especially when they're only 6 bucks! Lucky! Plus, you live where it's sunny n warm; doubly jealous now. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me wish I got that over-sized chunky sweater we found the other day!! :( oh well! 'tis another time I guess! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :( I dunno even know if I should even be telling you this, cuz it's heartbreaking, but I went back there to snag that purple purse for you and it was gone. So then I was like, the sweater she loved!! And alas, I couldn't find it anywhere either. I tried.

    You're prettier without 'em! ;)Sometimes thrift items walkout on us, but we always move on to better days n better deals. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete