Monday, December 6, 2010

Thrifter's Closet: Polka Dot Heels I Heart

Two weeks ago, I was thrifting with Johnathan at the Saint Vinnies in Slinger, WI when I came across the cutest heels. After I flipped them over and found they were my size 8, I truly got excited! This pair of Steve Madden heels are in brand new condition; they've absolutely never been worn, ‘til me! And to top it off, these sassy, recycled heels cost me only $4!

I wore them this weekend when I went to see A Christmas Carol at the Pabst Theater with my mom and Julie.  I will be wearing these heels year round, but they definitely have a quality of Christmas cheer about them. They are darling with their tiny, white polka dots on black, but what makes them heart-melting is the red detailing: the red strap held by a bright red button is eye-catching, and the shiny, red streak of heel makes my feet feel like they just stepped into a major motion picture. Oddly enough, my mom bought me a polka dot dress two years ago that matches them perfectly; in fact, they look as though they were sold as a set. 

I never used to be one for polka dots, but ever since I said it out loud I sure seem to be falling for them. I have five polka dot items in my possession now, and I’m pretty fond of each of them.  Some polka dots have an old-fashioned style that is both cheery and classy, and it just draws me in. 


A side note that I feel is important: never buy a dress or dress shoes that you will not wear numerous times. I wear dresses frequently so this is easier for me, but I do know that dress attire is one consumer category that is continually not put to use.  Even my fanciest dress was bought with the knowledge that I would wear it to many future events.  Same goes for heels: make sure they are ubber comfortable, match more than one thing in your closet and will be worn more than twice. When you’re contemplating a purchase simply ask yourself: will I wear these often and someday shabby the fancy out of them? If not, you don’t need them.


Another fun solution is to shoe swap. My friend, Julie, and I are the same size, so sometimes when I need a pair of shoes to match an outfit I check with her to see if she has something I could borrow. Swapping shoes or clothes for events can be pretty fun, pocket-friendly and a dose closer to eco-friendly. Just be sure to treat your friend’s items with respect and return them as quickly as possible, even when they undeniably look better on you. ;-)
 If you do have a pair of dress shoes hiding in your closet that haven’t been worn in years, perhaps it is time to donate them so someone else can boogie down and wear them out?

5 comments:

  1. Those heels are adorable! Perfectly matches the party dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Thank You!!! It is a crazy match! I've been to your blog before! I shared the "Thrift Lovemaking" with friends a few months ago; found it to be funny and soooo very true!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh wow! what a cute pair of shoes and an amazing find and deal. i agree, certain polka dots are very retro and classic. you dressed it up perfectly on your night out! thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable shoes! I'm a flip flop or sneakers type of gal myself - I think it has to do with the fact that I have major sensory issues with my feet. I can't stand socks at.all! :) But my husband insists on buying me heels, the poor thing finds them sexy! But believe me, there is nothing less sexy than watching me try to walk in heels! LOL!

    I'm stopping by from i made it so's friday archive dive "favourite post". (I know, I'm a week overdue!) I hope you'll do the same! You can find mine @ http://sofiasideas.com/2010/02/23/plastic-bottle-caps/

    Sofia's Ideas

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! I've always loved heels and dresses, but I'm picky because I believe in being comfortable. Comfy heels can be a rare find! So I completely understand your flip flop & sneaker preference, and I can't wait to stop by Sofia's Ideas for a good read! :)

    ReplyDelete