Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fake's Called Fake for a Reason

This morning, The Clean Bin Project was debating whether to get a fake Christmas tree or a real one.  This is a tricky question when you’re trying to answer it from an eco-friendly point of view.  On one side, we imagine that a fake tree, being used more than once, would be best. On the other, we acknowledge the real tree as being natural and fresh.  I pondered this fake vs. real last month, and my guess was that a fake tree was the smarter choice.

I was wrong! 

After doing a bit of research I quickly learned that fake trees are not the best choice to make. Here is why:

1) A real tree is recyclable and can be turned into mulch after the holidays; whereas, a fake tree cannot be recycled and will never (and I mean never) biodegrade. So, no matter how many years your family puts a fake tree to use, it will inevitably only add to the landfill heap.

2) Real trees are natural. Fake trees are made with PVC plastic, and in order to make PVC plastic, petroleum is needed, which is non-renewable and carbon emitting. In small words-- it’s no good.


3) To get your real tree you may drive a couple miles using dreaded carbon emissions, but there are worse things. Take for example, that fake tree; it has been made in China and took quite the long haul to get to America-- I'm betting that’s much worse. 

Now, there are fake Christmas trees in thrift stores all the time, which is someone's best attempt at recycling that tree. View fake thrift trees as trying to atone for what they’re made of.  If you adopt a fake thrift tree you’re only helping decrease garbage. Just be aware that there is lead in fake trees, so if you have little ones try and be sure they don’t go biting on the Christmas tree (sounds ridiculous, but we’re talking about children here)!

From an eco-standpoint, I kept thinking how horrible it is to cut down a beautiful, air-cleaning pine tree just so we can celebrate; but I do believe in celebrating, and the Christmas tree is too symbolic to just wipe it out of the festivities. It brings families together, gathers us all in one room and even gets us to sit in one spot simply talking, reminiscing and laughing. So while extreme eco-ists likely say, “No tree!” I can’t. I believe in eco-friendly living while balancing it with living a happy life. Christmas time is a happy time, and in my best memories there is a tree.

If you’d like to avoid using a chopped tree, I’ve seen small potted pines that would be great, especially for green-thumbs or people with a smaller apartment.  To have a small pine indoors year-round may not be your thing, but if you have a yard, simply keeping it outside and bringing it inside for the holidays would work well.  Decorating a tree you’ve been caring for each year will only add to the holiday’s warm, sentimental feelings, I’m sure.

 If you do have a fake tree, it’s all okay. Just use it for as many years as possible and instead of throwing it out, donate it. I only wanted to share this information because I was clueless and found it useful to know. Hopefully, it will help guide others' future tree choices.

Fake tree’s almost had me tricked, but I suppose they are called “fake” for a reason. Maybe, someday, we’ll all celebrate around a large, outdoor pine that’s all decorated and bedangled, like the Who's happy ending. Not a bad image, don’t ya think?

2 comments:

  1. We got a little rosemary tree from Whole Foods. The aroma is AMAZING! It was only about $15 and talk about dual purposing! I'm salivating thinking about the roasts, steaks, and potatoes it will eventually season. The only drawback is we have to keep it in our bedroom so our roommates' cats don't eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome idea! New to me, too. My family is filled with cooks, so they would absolutely love that!
    Cats do seem to be drawn to every kind of Christmas tree out there; they don't discriminate Lol

    ReplyDelete